CHaLLengE

"I wonder if his belly hurts and that's why he won't eat."



Saturday, September 25, 2010

Twice baked eggs

Today I had an amazing idea. It all came to me while my Mom was here visiting. I was headed out to run a few errands when she said, "Stop and pick us up some Subway on your way home." Immediately, I thought to myself, "What am I going to feed the kids?" Ding ding ding. Amazing. Why hadn't I thought of this before? Bronsen can totally have Subway, right? Why not, he eats bread, all kinds of meat, and some veggies. What else is Subway anyway?
I went straight to Subway and asked for the "ingredient information." Everyone knows Subway brags about their "nutritional information" but where is the stuff I need to know for my kid to benefit from the nutrition good ole Subway provides. The skilled sandwich maker looks at me and says the same thing everyone else says when I ask that sort of question. "What do you need to know?" Uhhh, come on. Just tell me where I can get the information, I'm still going to buy the stupid half of a 6 inch sub for $4. "On our website," she says. So I ordered a kids meal for Bronsen, a veggie sub kids meal. Yup, I paid $4 for that half a 6" and then I asked for just lettuce. I wanted to make sure I got my moneys worth.
When I got home I quickly woke the kids up and told Brosnen I had a surprise for him. This was after I went to the kitchen, unwrapped the 1/2 er, added his salami to it and wrapped it back up. I had to make it real. I showed it to him and his eyes lit up. He actually would get to eat the same food as us. I wouldn't hear the words or see him point and say, "Bronsen likes that,"all while being careful not to touch it because he knows it could make his belly hurt. Amazing.
How quickly I forgot about checking the information on the bread. I had to check to make sure it didn't contain soy flour, as many breads do. As the sandwich artist said, "Well it doesn't have milk in it. I know because there is someone who works here who is a vegetarian." What, um ok. I ran to the computer and began to obsessively search and read through all of Subways ingredient information, you know, for next time. Then I smelled something burning. Kitsen's eggs I was making her for dinner. I burnt the eggs and had to make them over again, all because of FPIES, all because every single day is a challenge.

No comments: